Last summer I grew fresh herbs in little pots as I wouldn't be having time for a big garden. One of my first experiments with Fresh sage leaves became our favorite. —Jane Chang
- Serves 6 as appetizer; 4 as part of main dish when accompanied by soup
Storebought, thin pizza crust.
fresh sage leaves, washed and patted dry
dry red pepper flakes
cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
Scallions, washed and cut diagonally into 1" strips.
shredded parmesan cheese
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to BROIL.
- Brush pizza crust (both sides) with 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil and set on baking sheet. Set under broiler and watch carefully until, first one side, then the 2nd, browns a bit. Remove from oven and set aside, but keep broiler on.
- In a medium size frying pan, melt butter on med-high heat. Place sage leaves in one layer into pan and watch carefully as they begin to crisp up. Turn them over to get both sides crisp and evenly cooked. Gently remove sage leaves from pan onto a paper towel and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Into same pan, add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and cherry tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are soft. Add sliced scallions and cook about 1 more minute, stirring frequently.
- ASSEMBLE PIZZA: Spread tomato/scallion mixture evenly onto pizza crust. Lightly crush sage leaves and sprinkle them all over. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and desired amount of red pepper flakes. Place under broiler until cheese is melted and pizza is hot.