Author Notes: This is slight adaptation of "Halibut Baked with Olives, Lemon, and Fresh Basil," from Summer on a Plate by Anna Pump and Gen LeRoy. My finicky teenager liked this when I made it for the first time a couple nights ago. —Sadassa_Ulna
pounds cod fillets, cut into six pieces
cup olive oil
teaspoon ground black pepper
cloves garlic, sliced very thinly
medium - large tomatoes, sliced thin
pitted black olives, cut in half
teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
cup chopped basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Coat bottom of a large baking dish* with 3 Tbsp. of the olive oil. * Dish should large enough that all fillets can fit without overlapping - I had to use two.
- Zest lemons then juice them; mix zest and juice with remaining olive oil in a small bowl. Add salt, and pepper.
- Place fillets in dish(es). Scatter the garlic evenly. Arrange olives and tomato slices on fish, then scatter the herbs over all. Pour the lemon-oil mixture evenly over all.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Garnish with remaining basil and lemon wedges on the side. [For an easy supper I served this with rice pilaf and a simple green salad.]
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs