Author Notes: I love grilled lemons, and I have been looking for new ways to use them. They provide the brightness of lemon juice, plus the deep bittersweet flavor of the charred lemon rind. I first put this recipe together to dress up some chicken and roast beef sandwiches, but I would use it on grilled meats and fish, mixed into to a grain salad with some feta, or on crostini with goat cheese. The mix of herbs is flexible (no need to go out and buy 5 different bunches!), but I like bright, fresh flavors in this dish, so I've stuck primarily with herbs that have those flavors. Don't be afraid to get the lemons good and charred - not only do you want that charred flavor, but you also want to make sure they're thoroughly cooked.
Balcony-less city dweller that I am, I have only tried this with a grill pan, but a real grill (with a grate fine enough to hold the lemon slices), George Foreman grill, or even a cast iron skillet would all probably work as well. —ReisTanzi
Makes: approximately 1 cup
Scallions (you'll use all of the whites, and some but not all of the greens)
cups loosely packed fresh herbs -such as parsley, mint, basil, oregano, cilantro (and as much of your scallion greens as you like)
teaspoons Olive oil
teaspoon kosher or sea salt - or to taste
- If you are not using organic lemons, wash lemons thoroughly. Slice lemons crosswise, in 1/4 inch slices, removing seeds as you go. Wash scallions and cut to separate whites from greens, reserving the greens to use with your herbs.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat, brush lightly with olive oil, and lay lemon slices and scallion whites in a single layer. Continue at medium-high heat, turning when pieces are deeply browned and charred (scallions will not be as dark as lemons). Cook on the other side, remove from pan, and allow to cool.
- Wash and chop herbs (the 1 1/2 cups should chop down to about half the volume, or 3/4 C).
- Once lemons and scallions are cool, slice scallions and chop lemons somewhat finely (you want to bite into small pieces, so they should not be very finely minced).
- Combine lemons, scallions, herbs, olive oil, and salt to taste. Serve at room temperature or cold.