If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Apple crisp was the dish that I was first known for, back when I was a kid. I substituted my favorite granola cereal for the rolled oats that most recipes called for… and a favorite was born!
As an adult, I’m a big fan of the combination of apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and apple brandy. The Apple Brandy gives a little extra something to this dish, an added warmth and complexity. It tastes like the holidays!. This apple crisp is the perfect way to end a crisp, cool day of apple picking with your special someone.
Apple Crisp was definitely one of the things that immediately came to mind, when I found out about my gluten allergy – so of course, I had to make a GF version. This won’t be for everyone – I realize that some people have issues with oats – but it’ll hit the spot for those who CAN have oats.
Also, bonus: Because the topping is oats based anyway, NON-gf people not only don’t take it as “GF”, but find it tastes better than with regular flour! —CelebrationGeneration
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Gluten free oat flour
- 3 cups Gluten free granola
- 7-8 large, tart apples
- 1/3 cup apple brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts or almonds, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9? square baking dish, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, and granola. Add melted butter, stir until well incorporated. Everything should be wet, but crumbly.
- Peel (if you want – I don’t usually), core, and chop the apples. Toss apple chunks with the apple brandy. Separately, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts – if using. Add to the bowl of apples, toss until apples are evenly coated.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with an even layer of the granola mixture, patting down lightly. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned, and apples are tender. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- * If you prefer, rolled oats can be substituted for the same amount of granola.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Buckle, Slump, Grunt, Crumble, Cobbler, Crisp, Sonker, Pandowdy, and/or Betty