If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Love warm tomatoes in the summer mornings, but am cutting down on bread. This Benedict-feel meal is the result. —Alyce Morgan
- 4 Thick tomato slices
- 2 Slices cheddar (or other) cheese
- 2 Eggs
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Salsa, Sriracha, or Pico de Gallo, if desired
- Preheat oven to broil. On a baking sheet lined with foil, place two sliced tomatoes, one right above the other. Two inches away, repeat with other two slices. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper. On top of the first two slices of tomatoes, place one piece of cheese at center. Repeat. Place baking sheet 4-inches under broiler and broil for a minute or until cheese is well-melted. Remove from oven and place cheese-tomatoes onto a plate while you make the eggs.
- Poach two eggs in 3 or 4-inches of almost simmering water until done to your liking--3-5 minutes, covered. Remove each egg with a slotted spoon, resting spoon and egg briefly on a towel to drain completely before gently adding egg to the top of each of the cheese-tomatoes. Sprinkle with kosher salt and a little more pepper. Serve hot with salsa, Sriracha, or Pico de Gallo, if desired.
- Cook's Note: Make the eggs ahead or while you broil the cheese-tomatoes--however it makes most sense to you.