If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love enchiladas. Something about the combination of melted cheese and spicy sauce is magical. Here's a vegetarian version with kick, and enough flavor for even serious carnivores. Added bonus, it's fast enough for a week night meal and gives great left overs.
Gluten free tortillas makes this a gluten free dish. Use mild salsa if you can't do much heat, but I like medium for the bite. You can stick this in the freezer, unbaked. To bake from frozen, cover with foil and bake at 300 for about an hour then at 350 for another 20-30 minutes. Uncover and keep baking until cheese is brown. —fatgirleating
- 12 8 inch tortillas any kind. I like the flour/corn blended ones
- 1 24 ounce jar salsa verde
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 each red bell pepper and pasilla chilli, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 Mexican squash (or 2 zucchini) 1/4 inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 slices pepper jack cheese (or 1.5 cups mexican blend for a more mellow flavor)
- 1/4 cup Mexican cheese shreads
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon each ground paprika and ground corriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- to taste salt and pepper
- heat the oven to 350
- in a largish pan cook the onion on medium heat until it starts to soften, 3-5 minutes. add the chilli and the bell pepper and cook another 2-3 minutes. add the squash and cook until it starts to get soft, 3-5 minutes. add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. this part shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes.
- add the cumin, coriander, paprika, and allspice salt and pepper. cook for a minute or so to toast the spices.
- add the beans and spinach and cook about 5-8 minutes until the spinach is cooked down, has released its water and that water is starting to evaporate. the mixture should look slightly saucy at this stage. (throw in the juice of 1 lime and you have the most delicious vegan taco filling. nom!)
- pour about 1/2 cup salsa in the bottom of a 9x11 (or 9x9 or 9x13 whatever you have really) baking dish. now, if you're feeling fancy, you can fill each tortilla with some veggies and 1/2 a slice of cheese. i don't have an abuela to yell at me, so i make mine like lasagne.
- lay a layer of tortillas down in the sauce. top with slices of pepper jack cheese, 1/3 the veggie mix and some salsa. repeat until you use up all the tortillas and veggies. finish with the remaining salsa and top with the shredded cheese.
- bake 20-30 minutes, until bubbly and brown on top. if you let it rest for a few minutes the cheese will set back up and it will be easier to dish out. but really, who can wait? it's dinner time!