If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe resulted from three ripe-to-bursting tomatoes sitting on my counter and some bacon that needed using in the fridge. I bulked it up with some canned tomatoes and chicken broth and finished with a ribbon of heavy cream that rounded the soup's sharper corners and made it just that extra bit richer. The bacon and the Worcestershire add a little smokiness that plays beautifully with the cream, which I add to each bowl individually, for the lactose intolerant individuals in my family. Served with some grilled cheese for the perfect rainy day meal. —Muttersome
- 2 strips of bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (or replace with fresh tomatoes)
- 1 15 oz can of low-sodium chicken broth
- a pinch of sugar
- worcestershire sauce
- Add the diced bacon to a medium sized, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crisp and has rendered its fat. Remove the bacon bits from the pot and place on a napkin to drain.
- Add the diced onion to the bacon fat in the pot and cook over medium-low heat until completely softened and just beginning to brown at the edges, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the can of chicken broth and stir to combine. Lower the heat to low and simmer the soup until it has thickened slightly, about 7-8 minutes. Add a pinch of sugar and two dashes of Worcestershire sauce and stir. Taste the soup and add salt as needed.
- Turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until any large chunks have been broken up, but make sure to leave enough texture so that the soup remains toothsome and interesting. Alternatively, process the soup in a conventional blender in batches.
- Scoop soup into each bowl and stir some heavy cream (about a tablespoon) into each bowl. Top with a few of the bacon bits and serve immediately.