Author Notes: I love all kinds of vegetables and in the Italian tradition, roasting or grilling them brings out the best flavor and texture. I created this original recipe one summer when I had an abundance of organic vegetables and needed a dish to satisfy my summer cravings. Serve these vegetables as a spread for sandwiches or try it combined with cooked pasta or risotto for a light vegetarian meal. I love it as an appetizer, served with toasted bruschetta and fresh herbs. —cucina di mammina
Serves: 4-5 people
bunch baby purple Italian eggplant
packets baby bella or white button mushrooms, quartered
garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
red or sweet yellow onion, peeled and sliced
fresh basil leaves
fresh parsley leaves
good quality white wine
salt & pepper to taste
fresh lemon, zest and juice
- Wash and dry all the vegetables. Peel the eggplant to remove most of peel; cut into small chunks. Chop the roma tomatos and slice up the onion into small to medium slices.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters and combine all the chopped veggies on to a large metal baking tray. Chop the garlic cloves and scatter over your vegetable mixture; season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a splash of white wine, small squeeze of lemon juice and a good drizzle of olive oil; combine well.
- Place the combined vegetable mixture in a preheated oven (425 to 445 degrees fahrenheit.)
- Roast the vegetables until soft and tender. Use a metal spatula to move the mixture around during the roasting to make sure all pieces cook well and are coated with the seasonings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe