If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These hearty, wholesome muffins are loaded with quinoa, grated butternut squash, apples, and pecans and will stick with you all morning. (adapted from Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone", first published at strawberryplum.com) —Sarah Fioritto
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted and browned
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup Grated Apple (1 medium apple)
- 1/2 cup Grated Butternut Squash
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup Pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°. Butter or spray a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon in large bowl. Mix well.
- In medium bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, browned butter, and vanilla.
- In another medium bowl, combine quinoa, apple, squash, raisins, and pecans.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined.
- Fold quinoa mixture into muffin batter and scoop into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until golden and tester comes out clean, about 30 minutes.