If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Spanish tapas, or small plates, are all the rage, and you’ll almost always find an omelet on the menu at a tapas bar. Ours is heart-healthy with a variety of vegetables including low calorie eggplant, anti-oxidant rich zucchini and fresh mushrooms. Serve tapas-style in small squares, or in wedges with a fruit salad for a complete meal. —Susan E. Levy
- 1 small peeled eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon each black pepper, paprika
- 8 eggs or 4 eggs and 8 egg whites
- 4 slices from large tomato
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Put diced eggplant in colander; lightly sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. After 30 minutes, rinse well with cold water and drain. Pat dry.
- Heat oil in large skill over medium heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, raisins, black pepper and paprika.
- Lightly coat a quiche pan or 9” baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Then add vegetables and stir together. Pour mixture into baking dish. Place the tomato slices on top. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until inserted fork comes out clean. Cool before cutting.
- Per serving: With 8 eggs: 160 calories, 11 gm protein, 10 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono, 282 mg cholesterol, 4 gm fiber, 489 mg sodium With 4 eggs and 8 egg whites: 134 calories, 11 gm protein, 10 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 3 gm mono, 141 mg cholesterol, 4 gm fiber, 515 mg sodium