If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one condiment that is so addictive that it has you begging for more even as your tongue writes in pain from the capsaicin. Referred to as 'Puli Inji' in Tamil & Malayalam, this is a quick staple relish that is paired with anything from Breakfast Dosas & Idlies to an evening supper of yogurt rice. The heat & spiciness comes not just from fresh chiles but also the sunny bite of .fresh ginger root. The intense heat is offset by tart tamarind pulp and a touch of brown sugar. Although I'll never be able to say for sure, being a vegetarian, I can imagine this relish slathered over barbecued or grilled white meats.. —Panfusine
Makes 1.5 cups
- 1 cup finely diced fresh ginger root
- 8-10 hot cherry peppers,
- 1/3 cup olive or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafetida powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup bottled tamarind pulp OR 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate (Tamicon)
- 3 tablespoons muscovado sugar
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- Cut the cherry peppers into quarters and mince them coarsely in a food processor. Add to the finely diced ginger.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non reactive skillet. when it begins to shimmer, add the mustard seeds & allow to sputter. Add the ginger & cherry pepper & saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, asafetida and the tamarind pulp (or concentrate) along with the water and allow to cook till the peppers become soft. Add the Salt and sugar and oil. Allow the relish to cook down on a medium low heat until the oil begins to appear as a film over the relish. Remove from stove and allow to rest overnight (the heat of the peppers will mellow).
- Store in clean glass jars in the refrigerator. Serve with a variety of dishes, such as Mujaddara, Roti, or Yogurt rice
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe