If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lacinato kale holds up beautifully in this sweet and spicy dish. Check out these numbers: 250% DV Vit A, 397% DV Vit C, and 690% DV Vit K. All for a measly 182 calories - now that’s a bargain! For more whole food, plant-based recipes, visit www.livingplate.com. —Living Plate
- 1 small head lacinato kale, Washed, spines removed, and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced [remove seeds for less heat]
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 small orange, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil [optional]
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare kale and place in a medium bowl. Massage kale, squeezing in the palm of your hands, until it wilts – about 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine pineapple, cilantro, onion, red pepper, jalapeño, lime and orange juices, and cumin powder. Stir well and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Toss pineapple mixture with kale.
- Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil [if desired] and sprinkle with hemp seeds just before serving.
- Note: Pineapple mixture can be made ahead. Toss with kale before serving.
- Nutrition facts [www.Nutritiondata.com] per serving [without oil]: Calories, 182: Fat, 4g; Carbohydrate, 34g; Fiber, 6g; Protein, 6g; Vit A, 250% DV; Vit C 397% DV; Calcium, 13%; Iron, 16%; Vit K 690% DV
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe