Author Notes: This is a classic bistro food from the region of Lyon. Warm green lentils are served with sliced cooked potatoes, Lyon sausage and dressed with vinaigrette sauce. The Lyon Sausage is a dry pork sausage normally made with pistacchios. This is the traditional recipe which I have adapted in case you don't find Lyon sausage. It's good all the same, I promise! —Babette's Feast
ounces Green lentils, preferably "Lentils du Puy"
onion studded with a clove and 3 black peppercorns
bouquet garni (3 sprigs of thyme, 3 sprigs of parsley and 1 bay leaf)
ounces pork Lyon Sausage or dry sausage
Parsley leaves for decoration
Fleur de Sel for finishing touch
tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
tablespoons Cider vinegar
- Make the bouquet garni by making a bundle with 3 sprigs of thyme, 3 sprigs of parsley and 1 bay leaf tied with kitchen string.
- Pick through and wash the green lentils and cook in a large pot with 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain. Put back in the pot with the onion with the clove and the bouquet garni. Cover with boiling water, bring to a boil, cover with lid, allow to simmer for 15 minutes (for cooking time please check the instructions in your package). Season with salt and cook 3 minutes more covered with lid.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly leaving them whole with skin on.
- Prick the sausage piercing the skin.
- Bring a pot with water to a boil and add the potatoes with the skin and the pork sausage and allow to cook at medium low heat until potatoes are cooked through.
- Make a vinaigrette sauce by whisking together the olive oil, the vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Peel the potatoes and cut in slices or in cubes (this depends how rustic or modern you want to serve the dish). While still hot, drizzle with some vinaigrette.
- Peel the sausage and cut in slices or in cubes.
- Drain the lentils and season with some vinaigrette. Check seasoning and keep warm.
- Serve still warm.
- For a rustic presentation put the lentils in a serving dish with potato slices and sausage slices and sprinkle with some parsley.
- For a modern presentation, put on the centre of the plate some lentils, potatoes and sausage pieces, drizzle a little olive oil, sprinkle some Fleur de Sel and garnish with a parsley leaf.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans