I enjoy baking with mostly organic ingredients; lately I’ve been using organic Einkorn wheat flour (an heirloom, non-hybridized variety with less gluten than regular flour quite a bit. If you cannot find Einkorn wheat flour (I like the Jovial brand), use unbleached, all-purpose flour. I haven’t tried it yet, but I believe you could make a gluten-free version of this cake with almond flour; chopped apples would be a nice addition if you plan to make the cake in the fall. —WinnieAb
- Serves 12-16
light brown sugar
organic Einkorn wheat flour (or unbleached, all-purpose flour)
organic salted butter, cut into 8 pieces
organic Einkorn wheat flour or unbleached, all-purpose flour
small lemon, zested
milk (I use organic, whole milk)
salted organic butter
1 1/2 cups
sugar (I use organic sugar)
eggs (I use organic, free-range eggs from my backyard chickens)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bundt pan with butter (be very generous and be sure to cover the entire surface), then coat the butter with flour.
- Make the streusel topping: mix together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Rub the butter pieces in with your fingers until small clumps form. Set aside.
- Sift (or whisk) together the flour, baking powder, and lemon zest and set aside. Mix milk with vanilla extract and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the flour mixture 1/3 at a time, alternating with the milk mixture. Scrape the bowl, and then beat on low until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the streusel mixture into prepared pan. Spoon about ½ of the batter on top of the streusel, then sprinkle the rest of the streusel evenly over the batter. Spoon the remaining batter into the pan over the streusel.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for about 15 minutes before carefully inverting it onto a serving platter to remove.