If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is slightly modified from the Florentine recipe found in Ottolenghi, The Cookbook (Ottolenghi and Tamimi, 2013) . These cookies are EASY to make- try them with kids! —Ann Goldman
Makes 12-15 cookies
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 3/4 cups sliced almonds
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Spray the paper lightly with oil. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Mix the egg whites, flavorings and sugar in a bowl
- Add the almonds and mix. Make sure to coat the nuts entirely with the egg mixture - this is what ensures that the cookie holds together
- Drop by the heaping tablespoonful onto the lined baking sheet. Flatten so that there is almost a single layer of nuts
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, the cookies must be browned a bit on the bottom or they will not cool/crisp properly
- Slide the baked cookies onto a cooling rack. They are fragile, be careful! Cool completely. They can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.