If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We, Greeks, know 1000+1 ways to cook, fry, grill, bake, boil and broil zucchinis, with one of all time classics being “kolokythokeftedes” simply translated into “zucchini balls”. Fresh zucchini, fresh herbs and local cheese are formed into balls or patties and get fried in good olive oil. A chilled dip made of Greek yogurt, pressed garlic and chopped fresh mint leaves give the zucchini patties the extra twist. —Cookingly Yours
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (2-3 medium zucchinis, 300 gr)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feat cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded hard, salty yellow cheese (parmezan etc)
- 1 egg
- 2-4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- black pepper, eventually salt
Greek yogurt dip with mint & garlic
- 1 cup chilled strained Greek yogurt 10% or 2% fat
- 1 pressed garlic glove
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Shred the zucchini and press out all the liquid. Eventually you can sprinkle some salt over the shredded zucchini aside for 30 min to let out all liquid. Then press.
- In a bowl mix shredded zucchini, mint and parsley, onion, cheese, egg and pepper. If you add salt or not it depends very much on how salty is the cheese. Normally I don't add any.
- Add 2-3 tablespoon flour. If the batter is too soggy, add one more and mix well.
- Cover the bottom of a non-stick pan with olive oil and heat it.
- With a tablespoon take portion wise from the zucchini mix and carefully place them in the pan. They look like pancakes.
- When the patties are golden (after 5 min) flip them and let the other side fry for another five minutes.
- When zucchini patties are golden brown, take them out from the pan and let them rest for some 10 minutes on a plate covered with paper towels.
- Continue the frying till the zucchini mix is over.
- For the yogurt dip: In a bowl blend the yogurt, the garlic, the mint, the olive oil and the vinegar. Add some salt and chill for at least one hour.