Author Notes: Growing up…summer was always the best time of the year – and may I repeat it, “always”. Getting under the heat of the sun and enjoying delectable summer treats are priceless. As a child, ice cream and sundaes were not the only heat busting desserts I used to enjoy back then. Halo-halo (another Filipino dessert) topped with a huge chunk of leche flan made me beat the summer heat while strolling along the beach. Aside from its milky consistency, the leche flan is what makes a halo-halo treat worthwhile.
Leche flans are often made using a llanera, which molds the oval shape of the flan which Filipinos grew up to know. Its creamy texture makes me sigh with pleasure while reminiscing about the good old times. A leche flan can be paired with tons of dishes and delicacies that can tickle your taste buds. On my hunt for the best leche flan treats, I have found in our local bakeshop a custard cake that consists of a layer of leche flan on top and a melt-in-your-mouth caramelized chiffon cake at the bottom.
What makes people (even me) go crazy about the leche flan, is the gooey caramel sauce and the melt-in-your-mouth experience after every bite. Did I also mention that it is easy to make? When I was young, I used to think leche flans took forever to make; only to realize later how simple, fast, and easy it is to prepare this summer treat.
cup brown or refined sugar
can condensed milk
pint evaporated milk
- For the caramel sauce, combine the sugar and water in a heated pan. Stir until it becomes caramelized. Pour the caramel sauce onto the llanera or small containers
- For the custard, place the 12 egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla into a blender and blend until all the ingredients are all incorporated.
- Place the custard mixture into the llanera or small containers. In a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees, bake the leche flan for about an hour. You can opt to steam your leche flan for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once this is through, let the leche flan cool for about 15 minutes
- Put the leche flan on a serving plate and top it the caramel sauce