If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up…summer was always the best time of the year – and may I repeat it, “always”. Getting under the heat of the sun and enjoying delectable summer treats are priceless. As a child, ice cream and sundaes were not the only heat busting desserts I used to enjoy back then. Halo-halo (another Filipino dessert) topped with a huge chunk of leche flan made me beat the summer heat while strolling along the beach. Aside from its milky consistency, the leche flan is what makes a halo-halo treat worthwhile.
Leche flans are often made using a llanera, which molds the oval shape of the flan which Filipinos grew up to know. Its creamy texture makes me sigh with pleasure while reminiscing about the good old times. A leche flan can be paired with tons of dishes and delicacies that can tickle your taste buds. On my hunt for the best leche flan treats, I have found in our local bakeshop a custard cake that consists of a layer of leche flan on top and a melt-in-your-mouth caramelized chiffon cake at the bottom.
What makes people (even me) go crazy about the leche flan, is the gooey caramel sauce and the melt-in-your-mouth experience after every bite. Did I also mention that it is easy to make? When I was young, I used to think leche flans took forever to make; only to realize later how simple, fast, and easy it is to prepare this summer treat.
cup brown or refined sugar
can condensed milk
pint evaporated milk
- For the caramel sauce, combine the sugar and water in a heated pan. Stir until it becomes caramelized. Pour the caramel sauce onto the llanera or small containers
- For the custard, place the 12 egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla into a blender and blend until all the ingredients are all incorporated.
- Place the custard mixture into the llanera or small containers. In a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees, bake the leche flan for about an hour. You can opt to steam your leche flan for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once this is through, let the leche flan cool for about 15 minutes
- Put the leche flan on a serving plate and top it the caramel sauce