If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: On these last days of summer, I made this fresh and healthy summer tomato tart with pesto and mozzarella. I love it al fresco with wine. It’s much nicer when you use variety of tomatoes like heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, mini marzano, pear tomatoes. If you grow your own tomatoes in your garden or got some from someone you know, this is perfect. Put them in! Of course you can make this tart without making the crust as well as the pesto for the filling, you can use store-bought shortbread crust pastry and pesto. But making it all from scratch is so rewarding, you can taste the freshness of the homemade pesto and crunchy crust. It will come out quite delicious. —LolaLobato
Serves about 8
- 1 2/3 cups sifted flour
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups variation of small tomatoes
- 1 mozzarella ball
- 1 cup pesto
- coarse salt to taste
- In a large bowl pour the flour, making a well, and start adding the small butter pieces.
- Add egg, sugar, salt and water. With your fingertips work all the ingredients until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, pushing with the heel of your hand and form into a ball of dough.
- Wrap with cling film and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- On a floured work surface, roll out dough into a large round.
- Prepare a tart pan with removable bottom, transfer the dough on a rolling pin, drape it over the tart pan pressing dough onto bottom and edge.
- Trim the edge and chill for 30 minutes.
- With a fork prick the bottom of the pastry, line the shell with waxed paper and fill with pie weights or beans.
- Partially bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the weights and paper to continue baking for about 5 more minutes. It’s okay if it’s not golden brown at this point, it’s going to continue baking with the filler later.
- Let it cool before filling. Spread a thin layer of pesto over the crust and the break mozzarella into pieces over the sauce and cover the top with sliced tomatoes.
- Bake again for about 10 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and cheeses is melted.