When my children were young, Christmas Eve at home meant a supper of lucious potato soup made with bacon and cream. After a big bowl enjoyed by the fire, two little ones were ready for the Night before Christmas and sugarplum dreams. This is a variation of my Christmas Eve soup. The addition of pumpkin comes from my fondness for squash and pumpkin bisque. —Kathcooks
- Serves 6-8
Medium onion, chopped
Stalks celery, chopped
Cloves of garlic, minced
Medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
Chicken stock or broth
14 1/2 oz can of puréed pumpkin
Grated cheddar cheese
Green onions, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- In large Dutch oven, sauté bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon to drain on paper towels, reserving bacon grease in pan.
- Add onion and celery to bacon grease remaining in pan, and sauté over medium heat until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic to pan and sauté, stirring, for one minute.
- Add potatoes to pan and toss to combine.
- Sauté potato mixture over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and pumpkin purée, stirring until combined.
- Bring to boil over medium high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in heavy cream and cheese until well blended and cheese is melted.
- Garnish bowls with crumbled bacon and green onions.