Author Notes: The handful of fresh basil leaves gives this creamy tomato and sweet red pepper soup a fresh, earthy taste, but it's still warm enough for fall. (Notes: I used homemade vegetable stock for this recipe. You may need to reheat the soup after blending due to the cold heavy cream being added in.) —Jenna S
vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
large sweet red pepper, chopped (not in oil)
cup yellow onion, chopped
cloves garlic, chopped
cup leeks, chopped
fresh basil leaves
cup heavy cream
- Saute the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes in olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, red pepper, leeks, and vegetable stock. Cook on low to medium for about half an hour to 40 minutes, with the lid on. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the fresh basil and heavy cream, and seasoning to taste.
- Use an immersion blender or food processor to blend until smooth.
- Garnish with a couple of leaves of basil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup