- Serves 6-8
Call me crazy, but, I’m willing to bet that while you cut and wash lettuce before making a salad you don’t think to yourself “man this lettuce smells good!” Well, guess what? I must be crazy because those were my exact thoughts while preparing the arugula for this tart (that and how I wish there was such thing as an arugula smelling candle—weird!).
Arugula, also known as rocket lettuce, has a fresh, peppery smell that I just adore. Although I typically eat it raw in a salad with goat cheese and some dried fruit, this particular day I was living on the edge and decided to cook it into a tart. The recipe below details how to make a homemade tart crust (butter, butter and more butter—yum!), but if time is of the essence to you, this meal can easily be made with store bought dough. It’s great for a quick weeknight meal and spectacular for leftovers the next day. —Emily Weinberger
2 1/2 cups
Sticks unsalted butter
Cloves garlic, minced
Jalapeno, seeded and diced
Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the first 3 ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarse like cornmeal. One TBS at a time, add in cold water until dough ball forms.
- Empty out onto a floured surface and knead into a round disc. Be sure not to work the dough too much or it will become tough. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Spray a tart pan with nonstick spray. Roll out chilled dough into a 16” circle or until 1/8” thick. Fold dough in half, and then in half again creating a triangle.
- Carefully place point of triangle into the center of the tart pan and unfold. Press dough into the surface of the pan and trim excess dough around the rim.
- Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of the tart pan. Place on top of dough and weigh down with dried beans or pit weights. Par bake crust for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the filling ingredients.
- Bake at 375 for an additional 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.