If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple recipe has complex flavors and textures, while looking as good as it tastes! —Amy Westerman
Sweet Corn Tamale Cake
- 1.5 cups whole kernel corn
- 0.5 cups melted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 0.5 cups masa
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Tomatillo Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 3 large tomatillos
- 0.5 cups mild green chiles
- 0.5 small yellow onion
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 0.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- For the tamale cakes: 1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. 2. Puree 1 cup of the corn until mushy. 3. In a bowl, combine all of the rest of the ingredients, including the rest of the whole-kernel corn. Mix well until everything is well-incorporated. 4. Form small, flat patties (about the size of a silver dollar, about 1/2 inch thick) and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total.
- For the tomatillo cilantro cream sauce: 1. Put all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smoothe. 2. Heat the sauce on medium heat in a skillet. Once heated through, add the heavy cream and serve immediately.
- For the black bean and corn salsa: Ingredients: 1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn 1 can (15 ounces) black beans 0.5 red onion 3 medium tomatoes 1 tablespoon garlic 1 handful chopped cilantro 1 tablespoon lime juice 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper Instructions: 1. Drain and rince the corn and black beans. 2. Chop the tomatoes (leave out excess juice and seeds) and the half onion into small, equal pieces. 3. Add all ingredients together and stir.
- For the spicy remoulade: Ingredients: 1 cup mayonaise 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning 2 teaspoons horseradish 1 tablespoon siracha 1 teaspoon yellow mustard 1 teaspoon worcestershire 1/2 teaspoon ground smoked paprika 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce Instructions: 1. Mix all ingredients together until well-incorporated.
- Assembly for party appetizers: 1. On each tamale cake, place a small amount (about 1.2 a teaspoon) of tomatillo cilantro cream sauce on the top. 2. Then, add almost a teaspoon of the black bean and corn salsa. 3. Next, add a dollop of the spicy remoulade to top it off. 4. Finally, finish with a little drizzling of chopped fresh cilantro.
- For a video demo/explanation: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQuAIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDRII0hlbFGY&ei=WBxPUsiFH8jnqAGzw4HIAQ&usg=AFQjCNEWuVpi7bTbRmg9txLF4ztTg_qUQw&sig2=tyisEk9jfGmsAxIr6ZT23w
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side