A lightly sweet, gluten-free cake that's adaptable to your tastes.
A lightly sweet, gluten-free cake that's adaptable to your tastes.—glutenfreegirl
Serves: 8 to 10
grams grain-free flour mix (see below)
teaspoon psyllium husk
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon 5-spice powder
grams coconut oil, melted
grams coconut sugar
grams roasted kuri squash purée (see below, and butternut and kabocha also work well)
In This Recipe
- To make the grain-free flour mix: Combine 100 grams of almond flour, 100 grams of buckwheat flour, and 100 grams of potato starch. Whisk them together in a large container. Stir them until they are one color. You have a flour mix!
- To roast the kuri squash: Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, sprinkle the flesh with a bit of oil, and roast in a 375° F oven until the flesh is tender. When the squash has cooled to room temperature, peel away the skin. (This works with pumpkins, kabocha squash, butternut squash, and hubbard squash as well.) Throw the squash in the food processor and whirl it up until it's a silky purée.
- Preparing to bake: Heat the oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- Combining the dry ingredients: Whisk together the flour, psyllium, baking soda, cinnamon, 5-spice powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Creaming the coconut and sugar: Pour the melted coconut oil into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk the melted oil. Add the coconut sugar. When the oil and sugar are combined and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time. Add the squash purée and mix.
- Finishing the batter: With the mixer running on low, add 1/4 of the dry ingredients. When all visible traces of flours have disappeared, pour in half the milk. Repeat until the batter is finished.
- Baking the cake: Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake until the edge of the cake has started to pull away from the pan and the top of the cake has an athletic jiggle, about 45 to 55 minutes. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto a cooling rack.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!