If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you're anything like me, you always have a few staples in your fridge. This recipe utilizes a few of my favorite fridge must-haves. Necessities like extra firm tofu, a bag of chocolate chips, and some salsa (or like, 6 different kinds of salsa) are always on hand for me so it makes perfect sense to throw them all together. Renegade loose chocolate chips be damned. I call those "fridge snacks." —quicheAweek
- 9 ounces Extra Firm Tofu, cut into fry-sized sticks
- 1.5 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- .5 teaspoons Cayenne
- .5 teaspoons Onion Powder
- .5 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons Extra Dark Chocolate Chips
- .5 cups Chunky Fresh Salsa
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Combine your spices for the spice rub. Dredge your tofu fries in the spices, making them all covered and yummy. Get out a frying pan and put it over medium heat. Take some of the tofu fries and lay them in one flat layer on the hot pan and let them sizzle for 4-5 minutes (4 if you cut them a little thinner). Flip and cook a couple minutes more until the tofu fries get a bit of a crisp. Transfer to a plate, sweep out the leftover spice debris (carefully) from the hot pan and repeat until all your tofu fries are cooked.
- Spray a wok or that same pan from before with a light coat of cooking spray and put over medium-low heat. Toss the chocolate chips in and let them melt a bit. Throw in the salsa and mix it all up. Add the chili powder and continue to cook until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Add the tofu fries and keep on cooking, coating all the fries and allowing them to get a little browner/stickier/yummier. When the sauce seems pretty much all on the tofu fries in a satisfying way, remove from heat.
- Top with some fresh salsa. Serve!