Author Notes: My mom makes this recipe every year for good luck, and now I do too. It's simple but everyone loves it. —Emilie
pound Great Northern beans
onion, chopped, or more to taste
cup chopped celery leaves, and some of the inner ribs chopped if desired
ham bone with some ham still attached
pounds ham, cut in 1 inch chunks
salt to taste
In This Recipe
- Pick over beans and soak in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Put beans in large pot and cover with 6 cups of water.
- Add celery leaves, celery if desired, onion, ham and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and partially cover with lid.
- Simmer for 2 hours, until desired thickness (we like ours thick, but you could also make it soupier). Add salt at end depending on how salty your ham is.
- Serve with cornbread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans