Author Notes: I love the sweet/tart taste of a miso glaze, and the beauty of multi-colored carrots. Tarte tatins are always delicious. The fennel pollen, a gift from a friend, ties all the ingredients together. The almonds give the dish great crunch. —Leith Devine
tablespoon Red Miso
teaspoons Ponzu sauce
teaspoons Rice Wine Vinegar
pinches Fennel Pollen
packet Pre-Made Puff Pastry
handful Chopped Marcona almonds
- Wash and peel carrots, then slice into rounds, on a mandolin if possible. Place rounds into large bowl.
- Combine miso, ponzu, mirin, rice vinegar and fennel pollen together thoroughly with a whisk. Pour over carrots in large bowl.
- Using a frying pan, layer the first layer of carrots in the pan in some kind of pattern if possible. Overlap carrots to fill in spaces. When the bottom later is completed, carefully move the rest of the carrots from the miso mixture and level them on top. Pour the rest of the miso glaze over the carrot mixture in the frying pan.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Remove puff pastry from package and roll out. Use the lid of your frying pan to measure the size of the circle of pastry you need, then cut around the lid.
- Put the lid back on the frying pan and start cooking the carrots on medium heat until you see the carrots and tender and the miso is bubbling.
- Turn off heat, remove frying pan lid, and carefully put the puff pastry circle on top of the carrots, tucking the edges underneath.
- Put frying pan into preheated oven until pastry has risen and browned, approximately 12 minutes.
- Using an oven mitt, remove pan from oven and let cool (while you run cold water on your burn). I recommend potholders for both hands!
- After the pan has cooled down, gently loosen around the edges of the pan in case any carrots are stuck.
- Take a plate that is at least as big as the pan and place it on top, upside down. Hold the pan (with your oven mitts) and, holding the plate and the pan at the same time, flip the pan over in one motion.
- Move some carrots around if it needs neatening. Chop the marcona almonds into small pieces and sprinkle on top.
- Slice into wedges and serve!