Author Notes: My great aunt made this simple chocolate frosting for a simple chocolate cake at least once a week for her family which included my semi orphaned father, who like her, was a huge chocolate lover. If she was alive today, Evie would be 133 years old. She lived to quite an advanced age and I was lucky to be next to the frosting bowl many times to get the privilege of licking the spatula. My mother continued to make the cake for my father and I can honestly say that neither he nor I ever tired of it. —dymnyno
Makes 2 cups
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons strong coffee (I use cold brew)
- Sift the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder together in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter and the strong coffee and mix together.
- Using a wire whisk,(I use a flat whisk) whip it together until it becomes fluffy and smooth, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Frosting