Author Notes: I wanted a crowd-pleasing (read: with bacon) squash recipe for Thanksgiving that could partially made ahead and finished on the stove (oven space being at a premium). Here it is! —Katelinlee
strips thick-cut bacon
yellow onion, diced
cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove peel from butternut squash and cube.
- Toss squash with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast on baking sheet for roughly 30 minutes, tossing often, until tender and lightly browned.
- Make ahead step: Allow squash to cool and refrigerate until you are ready to finish preparing the meal.
- Cut bacon into lardons and cook in large skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon and place on paper towel-lined plate, reserving fat.
- Add onion to bacon grease and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and lightly browned.
- Add squash to the pan and cook until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper, toss with bacon and parsley, and serve warm.