- Serves 2
A local pizza joint makes a pie incorporating the ingredients of Devils on Horseback. I set out to make a vegan sauce version that could be topped on spaghetti squash, pasta, or pizza dough. —happymontycooks
What You'll Need
crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
dates, pitted and chopped (I used Halawy dates b/c they were on sale but I think Deglet Noors would hold up better)
miso (I used a mixture of red and white miso)
- Prepare tomatoes for sauce. For me, this means pureeing it in a food processor. For most, skinning and seeding tomatoes prior to pureeing.
- Sautee onions until fragrant. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes if using. Sautee for a few minutes more.
- Add tomato puree and smoked paprika. Stir and cook until thickened to SLIGHTLY SOUPIER THAN desired consistency.
- Add chopped dates and cook until thickened to desired consistency.
- Lower heat to barely a simmer and add the miso. Stir to combine all flavours. Adjusting seasoning.
- For a "meatier" versions while remaining vegan, add 8 ounces of chopped chanterelles with the garlic.
- For a non-vegan/vegetarian recipe, top with cheese of choice.
- For an omnivore version, use pancetta and skip the smoked paprika and miso. I'd render the pancetta first, using the left over fat to sautee the onions and garlic. Top the sauce with the pancetta.