If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Endless schedules and long "to do" lists impact the meals we feed our families. Meals should be cherished but sometimes - a quick and easy dinner is just what we're looking for. This recipe is prepared in less than 30 minutes plus packs a whole lot of nutrition. A 1 cup servings provides 62 percent of your daily vitamin C requirements plus 4 grams of fibre. The beauty of this recipe is that veggie substitutions can be made based on your taste and season. Substitute the sweet peppers for zucchini, bunches of spinach, tomatoes, and the list goes on! Don't forget, you can always use more chicken in your recipe too! —Health Dish
Makes 7 cups
- 2 cups whole wheat rotini, uncooked
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 medium sweet bell peppers (any colour or alternate vegetable), diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 cup reserve pasta water
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Garnish dish with crumbled feta cheese and parsley
- Cook pasta as directed on the package. Save reserve pasta water for step 4 and 5
- Heat vegetable oil on skillet over medium heat. Mix black pepper over chicken and add to skillet. Cook each side for 3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Once done, remove chicken from skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- In the skillet, brown onions. Mix in bell peppers and cook until slightly browned. Once done, remove onion/pepper mixture and set aside in the bowl with the chicken.
- Add flour to skillet and whisk for 20 seconds. Add milk, pasta water, chili flakes, and oregano, and whisk for about 1 minute to remove lumps.
- Add chicken and vegetables back to the skillet. Add any extra reserve pasta water to achieve desired consistency. Mix and heat for 2 minutes. Garnish and enjoy.