If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Brussels sprouts are a popular side dish this time of year, and I love to pair sweet ingredients with their lightly bitter tang. This side is easy, very satisfying, and a great way to combine two autumn favorites in one dish. —Bevi
Food52 Review: WHO: We are big fans of Bevi’s Chicken Kiev and her Next Day Grilled Corn, Pineapple, and Peach Salsa.
WHAT: A 5-ingredient side that you make on one baking sheet.
HOW: Halve a whole lot of brussels sprouts and one pear and roast them together in a hot oven until caramelized, flipping halfway through. In the last 5 minutes, add chopped pistachios to get them toasty. Finish the dish by showering your ingredients with lemon juice, roughly chopping the pear halves, and seasoning to taste.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Brussels sprouts and pears make strange bedfellows, but we consider this unusual friendship to be a holiday miracle. Soft, sweet pears offset the crispy and slightly bitter sprouts, and the addition of pistachios adds some welcome crunch. Double or triple this recipe to avoid being the person sadly scraping the remaining bits off the pan. —The Editors
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 grinds black pepper
- 1 Bosc pear, halved lengthwise and cored
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, chopped coarsely
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Place the prepared brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and pour on the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix with clean hands. Place the pear halves, cut sides-down, on the baking sheet, making sure there is enough oil to coat their cut surfaces.
- Roast the brussels sprouts and pear for about 20 minutes. Then turn the brussels sprouts with a metal spatula so that both sides will get caramelized. Check the pear -- it many not be caramelized at this point.
- After another 10 minutes, turn the brussels sprouts again. Flip the pear. Reduce the oven heat to 375° F.
- Add the pistachios -- you just want to heat them up and toast them slightly.
- After 5 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Squeeze lemon juice directly over all the ingredients. Use your spatula to chop up the pear halves. Toss everything thoroughly, check the seasoning, and serve on a platter or in a bowl.
- Your Best Green Holiday Side Contest Winner!