If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the middle of my current photography series "Journey to Egypt: Discovering Identity through food" I found myself coming back to the simplicity, comfort, and sweetness of this Egyptian dessert. Through the recipe testing and eventual photoshoot of this and several other Egyptian dishes- this has remained one of my most favorites. The small but powerful addition of the Rosewater gives it the ultimate Middle Eastern signature! —Mira Zaki
Serves: @25 people depending on cut and size of squares
cups Cream of Wheat Cereal or Farina (regular not instant)
cups Granulated sugar
cup Low-fat plain yogurt
teaspoon Baking powder
piece Blanched Almond per piece of Basbusa
cups Granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 13x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Gather Basbusa dry ingredients: Cream of Wheat, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- In a large bowl, stir cream of wheat, salt, baking powder and sugar well
- After dry ingredients are mixed well, add yogurt and mix to blend.
- Pour batter evenly into 13x9 parchment paper lined pan.
- Bake Basbusa for 30 minutes at 350F (be sure to not overbake!!)
- Remove from oven after 30 minutes and score into squares or diamond shapes.
- After scoring Basbusa, place one whole blanched almond in the center of each piece.
- Put Basbusa back into the oven at 350F and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- While Basbusa is baking, start preparing syrup.
- In a medium-sized pot, place sugar and water.
- Stir sugar and water on medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- After sugar dissolves, simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat after 10-15 minutes have passed.
- Add Rosewater to the sugar/water syrup and stir.
- Set syrup aside until Basbusa is done.
- When Basbusa is done, carefully remove from oven.
- Pour syrup immediately all over Basbusa and cover with foil tightly.
- Allow syrup to fully absorb into Basbusa.
- After Syrup has fully absorbed, serve at room temperature (best served with whipped cream)