If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Beet greens are unsung heroes; treat beet greens the way that you would treat Swiss Chard since they are closely related plants and have a very similar taste and texture profile. Buying or growing beets is a two for one deal.I love mixing greens in with cubes of spiced potato for a hearty Sunday morning breakfast. My friends in college came up with this particular blend of spices and I’ve been using it ever since…and that was almost five years ago now, so I guess this must be a winning combination. —penelopemacaroni
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 cup chopped beet greens
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons oive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- Coat the bottom of a large cast iron skillet with olive oil. I recommend a generous coating, as in, not so much that there is standing oil but enough to really coat the whole pan evenly. Then heat it up over medium heat.
- Once the skillet is nice and hot, add in cubes of potato. Stir and flip potatoes occasionally to prevent burning and sticking. I typically cover the skillet with a lid for part of the cooking time to help speed along the process. I alternate a few minutes with the lid on and then a few with it off. The potatoes take about 15 to 20 minutes to cook through, depending on the size of the cubes.
- nce you see that the potatoes are almost done (they will have a nice golden brown crust and the interior will have softened), you want to season the potatoes with the chili powder, paprika and cayenne as well as the salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate thoroughly. You want to do this at the end so that the spices don’t scorch.
- In the very last minutes of cook time, throw your greens into the pan. Let them wilt down a bit.
- Fry your eggs in a bit more olive oil and top the potatoes with your perfectly cooked sunnyside up egg.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes