If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of many meatball recipes. This is probably an adaptation from many recipes I tried over the years. It can be served with mashed potatoes or pasta. For gluten-free just substitute bread crumbs with the gluten-free option.
In this recipe I usually use homemade tomato juice and canned tomato, but you can use bought, good quality versions too. —Medooka
Makes about 30 meatballs
- 1 pound ground meat (beef or mix of beef and pork)
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 tablespoons bread crumbs (for gluten free option use gluten free bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
Creamy Tomato-Basil Bisque
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 jar of tomato juice
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- handful of basil
- handful of parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Make the meat balls: In a food processor chop onion, garlic, and parsley.
- Place meat in a bowl and add the chopped vegetables, egg, bread crumbs, paprika, salt and pepper and pepper flakes if using. Mix well with wooden spoon and then with hand.
- Scooping the meat mixture with a spoon make small balls and place them on an oiled plate. Leave in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Start the tomato-basil bisque: Heat olive oil on medium heat and lightly saute the garlic (do not let it brown). Add tomato, tomato juice, sugar and season with salt and pepper. Let boil and reduce to simmer. Depending on your taste you could either pure the tomato before you cook it or leave it in chunks.
- Brown the meatballs: heat the vegetable oil on high temperature and add meatballs. Reduce temperature to medium and brown the meatballs on all sides. If necessary do it in batches.
- As the meatballs are done transfer them to the simmering tomato. Once all the meatballs are transferred to tomato, simmer them for about 20 minutes or until the tomato sauce is reduced.
- After about 20 minutes remove from heat and slowly add heavy cream carefully stirring in between the meatballs. Cover with chopped basil and parsley if using.