Inspired by Heston Blumenthal’s technique —l champion
- Serves 4 or more, depending on how many potatoes you use
large Russet potatoes
minced fresh garlic (approx. 2 cloves for each pound of potatoes)
chopped fresh rosemary (approx. 1 sprig for each pound of potatoes)
In This Recipe
- Scrub the potatoes and then cut into evenly-sized quarters. Place them in a large bowl of cold water and let them soak for about 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- While the potato wedges are soaking: Bring to a boil a large pot of salted water (enough to completely cover the potatoes). Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Once the pot of water is boiling, drain and rinse off the potatoes that have been soaking. This is to remove the potato starch.
- Boil the wedges for about 20 minutes, or until they are soft and about to fall apart.
- Carefully drain and shake the potatoes, then turn into a large bowl. Gently toss the potatoes with salt and pepper and oil.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then lay the potatoes out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast on the middle rack of the oven for about an hour, turning the wedges over every 20 minutes (to brown evenly on all sides)
- Mix the minced garlic with the chopped rosemary and set aside.
- After 45 minutes or so, sprinkle the potatoes with the garlic/rosemary mixture, and continue roasting until most of the potatoes have golden edges.
- Serve immediately.