Author Notes: Tuck thinly sliced butternut into a casserole with earthy BC (or Yukon) gold potatoes, crispy fried little chunkers of pancetta, bits of mild green onions, tangy Gruyere cheese, dabs of creamery butter, salt and lots of freshly ground pepper and garlic-infused heavy cream. Now bake this dish of happiness for a good while until it's an aromatic, ooey, gooey, creamy, tender tangle of decadent scrumptiousness. OH yes mama!!
Thanks to Hungry Cravings food blog and my mom-in-law's fantastic scalloped potatoes for delicious inspiration.
cups whipping cream combined with 1/4 cup water
plump garlic cloves, minced
large Yukon Gold (or other gold) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced (you want about even quantities of potato and squash)
Salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
pound pancetta, chopped, fried crispy-chewy
bunch green onions, thinly sliced
cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Generously butter a 12-inch oval or oblong baking dish.
- Pour cream-water mixture in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic. Stir and heat until steaming. Set aside.
- Layer all of the butternut squash evenly into the baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and lots of pepper.
- Top with half of the pancetta, green onions, grated Gruyere. Dot with half the butter.
- Second layer, same as the first, but this time using the potatoes.
- Pour the warm, garlic-infused cream evenly over the top of the whole casserole.
- Bake for approximately 1 1/4 hours until bubbly, golden-brown and fork tender. Let rest just a few moments before serving. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes