Author Notes: I have a friend who taught me to make clams with red bell peppers, and ever since, this combination has stayed with me: seafood with bell peppers. The sweetness of the peppers paired with the creaminess of the whole roasted sea bass makes me smile every time. I really love sea bass and in my humble opinion, it tastes lovely with a few adornments- just a bit of salt and lemon. —shayma
Serves: 4, with sides
2 lb. whole sea bass (including head and tail) cleaned, scaled, and gills removed
1 tsp Maldon salt
tablespoons olive oil
lemon, sliced thin plus lemon quarters for serving
red bell peppers
garlic cloves, "smooshed" w chef's knife
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F
- Salt the inside and outside of the fish (approximately 1 tbsp). Set aside.
- Slice 4 red bell peppers thinly.
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, add 4 tablespoons olive oil, the smooshed garlic cloves, 1 tsp Maldon salt and the bell peppers. Saute on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- When the bell peppers are soft and glistening, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Make 3-4 slits (sideways) on the top of the fish and insert the lemon slices. Place the rest of the lemon slices inside the fish, where it has been gutted.
- Rub fish liberally with olive oil.
- Bake in the hot oven, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Cook until the fish starts to flake easily. The skin will look crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Place the sea bass on a bed of the soft bell pepper ribbons, serve w lemon quarters.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Cook a Whole Fish