If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not your average burger! This simple patty is anything but boring - BBQ sauce, roasted red peppers, crispy onion rings and a simple slaw make this burger something special! And it's vegan! —Michelle - The Fresh Direction
Makes 8 burgers
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup almond/soy milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup puffed quinoa OR millet
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat
- vIn a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup water, baking soda and salt. Stir well to combine and create a batter. In a separate bowl, combine puffed quinoa or millet, bread crumbs, salt and garlic powder.
- Toss the sliced onion with 1 cup flour in a ziplock bag to coat evenly
- Dip each ring into the batter, letting excess drop off. Then dip into the quinoa/breadcrumb mixture. Press the quinoa/breadcrumbs onto the ring to ensure it sticks.
- Place the coated ring into the heated oil and fry for about 3-4 minutes, flipping once. To ensure your oil is hot enough, wet your fingers and flick a bit of water into the oil. If it sizzles, you're good to go. Once cooked, remove with tongs and place on some paper towel to drain.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the rings - I made 8 large onion rings - enough for 1 per burger!
Burger and Slaw
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar/maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons bbq sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch salt + pepper
- 8 burger buns
- For the Slaw: In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, onion, vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir to coat evenly and set aside.
- For the roasted red pepper: Set oven to broil. Place red pepper on a baking sheet and broil until the skin turns black - about 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a paper bag to steam. Once cool enough to touch, peel the burnt skin off and discard. Slice roasted pepper into long strips.
- For the burger: Prepare your flax egg - mix 2 tbsp ground flax with 1/3 cup warm water. Whisk together then place in the fridge to set.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining burger ingredients (red pepper through salt + pepper) to the same bowl and combine. I used a potato masher to ensure everything was sufficiently mixed together, but a fork and some elbow grease does the job too. Don't forget to get your flax egg from the fridge and add this to the mix as well!
- With wet hands, form into about 8 equal patties. Heat a bit of oil in a large pan over medium heat (same one you used before is fine). Cook burgers for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked, assemble - you know the drill, bun bottom, lettuce, slaw, burger, onion ring, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, bun top.