If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Baklava in a cookie. These cookies are spiced with nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. With lots of nuts, and honey. A Cypriot Christmas classic, but enjoyable all year round. Easy to make. Hard to mess up. —[email protected]
Makes 80 cookies
for the cookie
- 3 cups peanut oil
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- zest of two oranges
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ground lightly roasted almonds
- 1 /4 cups ground lightly roasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup ground lightly roasted walnuts
- 6 cups flour (you may need more)
- coarsely ground walnuts for sprinkling on top
for the syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup honey
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 whole orange peel
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Mix all the ingredients except the flour together with a hand whisk, then slowly mix in the flour until the mixture becomes thick.
- Use your hand to finish mixing the dough.
- Form the melomakarona into oval shapes and put them in the cookie sheets and bake them for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let the “melomakarona” cool – at least a couple hours.
- Once the “melomakarona” are cool, prepare your syrup. Put all the syrup ingredients except the honey into a pot on the stove. Bring the syrup to a boil. Add the honey and bring to a boil again, then lower the temperature to a simmer (i.e. the syrup is still boiling, but just on “simmer’ level!). Dip the cookies in a few at a time for a few seconds (maximum 10-15 seconds).
- Remove the “melomakarona” and place on wax paper. Sprinkle with coarsely ground walnuts. And that’s it!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
More Great Recipes: