If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes, you just want a casserole that you can make ahead and pop in the oven later. It looks familiar with the tomato sauce, whole grain pasta, and cheesy topping. And the dark leafy greens add so much nutrition with great taste. —Susan E. Levy
- 12 ounces dry whole wheat pasta (fusilli or other)
- 3 cups tomato sauce with onions and garlic (no salt added)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups dark leafy greens like kale, spinach or Swiss chard
- 1 ½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups Optional: cooked, diced protein such as chicken or low-fat turkey sausage
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, mushrooms and kale with the pasta and mix. Add optional chicken or sausage if using. Add pepper to taste.
- Pour into oven-proof casserole dish. Top with cheese and bake 20-30 minutes, until heated through and cheese is bubbly.
- Per serving: 242 calories, 13g protein, 37g carbohydrate, 5g fat, 3g sat fat, 1g mono fat, 11mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 130mg sodium
- Seasoned Cook Assemble this dish the night before. Taste tomato sauce before using – if needed, add seasonings. Red pepper flakes are a spicy addition. Fiber content of whole wheat pasta can vary by manufacturer – check the labels.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe