If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is the most-requested dish in my kitchen. Blending some of the chickpeas creates a thick, filling broth, and cooking the pasta directly in the soup keeps this as a one-pot meal. —eat chic
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30 ounces canned chickpeas (2 cans)
- 28 ounces peeled whole tomatoes (1 large can or 2 small cans)
- 1 pound cooked sausage, sliced, or raw sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, center ribs removed & leaves thinly sliced, or 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound whole wheat penne (or other short pasta)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus a small piece of the rind
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley, to garnish
- Purée one can of garbanzo beans with their liquid together with the canned tomatoes in a blender.
- Strain and rinse the remaining can of beans.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the sausage until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, basil, salt, pepper and chili flakes to the pan.
- Sauté about 8 minutes, until the onions are soft and golden brown, then add kale and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Add white wine and simmer until liquid is reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add bean and tomato purée, remaining beans, broth, parmesan rind and pasta.
- Simmer until pasta is tender and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes (add more broth if necessary).
- Mix in ¼ cup cheese and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with remaining cheese and parsley.
- Serve with toasted bread rubbed with garlic.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas