If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lap is one of the first and most primitive ‘salads’ usually consisting of roughly hand chopped meat, wild game, pork, chicken or even fish. The main characteristics of lap is the spicy, sour and salty dressing, roasted glutinious rice thickens the dressing and gives it a nutty aroma, coriander and mint add another fragrant layer to the dish. Served with raw vegetables on the side to cool and cleanse the palette after an intense mouthful of lap. I tend to soak all of the vegetables in a large bowl of ice water before serving. —siamesecooking
For the salad
- 3 tablespoons raw glutinious rice, or jasmine rice
- 5-10 dried chilies, or alternatively use chili powder to taste
- 400g chicken thigh fillets, roughly mince by hand
- stock or water, enough to moisten
- a pinch of salt
- 2 shallots, finely sliced lengthways
- 2 spring onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 handful coriander, coarsely chopped
- 1 handful mint, coarsely chopped
- Lime juice
- Fish sauce
- TOAST - In a dry pan, separately toast the rice and dried chilies until fragrant and coarsely ground each one, set aside.
- CHICKEN- In a hot pan add the chicken and salt, along with some stock or water to moisten and lightly simmer until the chicken is fully cooked.
- SEASONING- Remove from the heat and season with lime juice and fish sauce. Add the toasted rice and chilies.
- FINISH- Sprinkle with shallots, spring onions, coriander and mint. Serve with a side of fresh vegetables such as raw cabbage, cucumber, lettuce and Thai basil leaves.