If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A phla may include raw beef or various kinds of raw seafood, drizzled with a pungent dressing. Included as one of his favourite dishes in King Rama II’s boat songs. Try and get hold of the best quality aged beef, as it will play a pivotal role in this recipe. The beef can be kept completely raw if it is left to cure in the predominantly sour dressing for a few minutes. Finely sliced lemongrass and coriander can also be added for extra herbaceous notes. —siamesecooking
For the dressing
- 2 cloves of garlic
- fresh red chilies to taste
- a pinch of salt
- lime juice
- fish sauce
- a pinch of grated palm sugar
For the salad
- oil for frying
- good quality beef, rib eye, fillet, sirloin
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 handful mint leaves, picked
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely julienned
- DRESSING- In a pestle mortar pound garlic, fresh chilies and salt into a paste. Season with palm sugar, fish sauce and lime juice.
- BEEF- Heat the oil in a pan until very hot, sear the beef briefly on both sides and rest on a plate.
- FINISHING- Slice the beef and arrange on a plate, sprinkle with shallots, mint and kaffir lime leaves. Add any resting juices to the dressing and drizzle over the meat, serve.