If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I grew up reading Laura Ingalls Wilder books and my favorite was always Farmer Boy - probably because it contained so many wonderful descriptions of food. But reading about apples 'n' onions as Almanzo's favorite dish? Yuck, right? Well, maybe as a child I thought it sounded disgusting, but as an adult I think it's delicious. Have you ever sauteed cabbage in butter? It's a revelation - it gets all nutty and mild-tasting - not sulfurous at all. Put it all together with some sliced sausage and this simple, one pot meal makes an easy and nutritious supper. This recipe makes quite a lot and it doesn't reheat very well (the cabbage gets a bit soggy), so feel free to cut it down if you're serving fewer than 4 people. —Sewassbe
crisp apple, your choice. I like sweeter ones
large yellow storage onion
head small green cabbage
pound pre-cooked sausage, like kielbasa
- First, set a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the butter and let melt.
- Slice your onion as you like it (chunks, thin slices, minced, whatever) and add it to the pot. Let cook until onion is tender, but not browned.
- Wash, core, and chop your apple into bite-sized chunks. I do this by cutting the apple into quarters, cutting out the core, slicing each quarter into 3-4 slices, and cutting bite-sized pieces crosswise from each slice. Add the apple to the pot.
- Cut your half a small cabbage (it's a bigger volume than you would think) in half again, cut out the hard core, and slice thinly. You can cut the ribbons into more manageable pieces if you like. Add to the pot and stir well to coat with butter.
- Thinly slice your kielbasa (you can use less than a full pound if you want a lighter dish, or leave it out entirely for a side dish) and add to the pot.
- Cook everything over medium heat until the apples and cabbage are tender and the kielbasa is heated through. Serve immediately.