Author Notes: After making a stir fry or other recipe that calls for broccoli florets only, save the broccoli stalks for a great slaw. The winter radishes that are available are beautiful, and combining them in a slaw using broccoli stalks is a great way to serve up a healthy salad that is lovely to look at. You can use any type of radish, but I love the colors of watermelon and purple radishes. This is a great refresher to serve with a holiday meal. —Bevi
Prep time: 10 min
large broccoli stalks, peeled
medium to large watermelon radish
medium purple radish
cup dried cherries, chopped coarsely
cup shelled and salted pistachios, chopped coarsely
Meyer lemon, juiced
splash olive oil (twice as much as Meyer lemon juice)
teaspoon agave nectar
grindings of fresh black pepper
- Pass the broccoli stalks and the radishes through the shredding blade of a food processor or use a hand or box grater. Place the shredded vegetables in a medium-sized serving bowl.
- Add the dried cherries and the pistachios.
- Make the salad dressing. Squeeze the Meyer lemon juice in a glass, and then pour olive oil into the glass, eyeballing, so you add about twice the amount of the lemon juice. Add the agave nectar, and then the grindings of black pepper. Stir until the dressing is emulsified. Add to the radish and broccoli salad and toss.
- N.B.: You can use dried cranberries, raisins, or currants instead of dried cherries, and any chopped nut in lieu of pistachios. If the nuts are not salted, add a bit of salt to the dressing.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shaved Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side