If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A creamless, yet thick and velvety chicken soup blended with rice, with salty and crispy chicken bits browned in its own fat, plus a soft poached egg on top. It will help you with whatever heartache life throws in your way. More detail photos on: http://www.ladyandpups.com/2014/01/15/faulty-hearts-remedy-eng/ —Mandy @ Lady and pups
Chicken stock and boiled chicken
- 1/2 medium-sized chicken
- A few slices of ginger and scallions for poaching
- 6 cups (1500 ml) of homemade (or store-bought) low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 of an onion
- 4 slices of ginger
- NOTE: The stock I used is homemade and unsalted. If you are using store-bought, you may need to reduce the salt accordingly. A fast and easy way to get enriched stocks, plus making the boiled chicken needed for this recipe, you can do this:
- Bring a large pot of water, with a few slices of ginger and scallion, to boil. Submerge the chicken in the boiling water and cook for 5 min, until there’s no more scums/blood coming out of it. Rinse and clean the chicken thoroughly, and place in a stock pot (this will give the stock a “cleaner” taste). Peel the onion and scorch the surface over direct flames (on stove-stop) until roughly charred. Add the charred onion and sliced ginger into the stock pot with the chicken, and add 6 cups of chicken stock. Keep the soup on simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and strain the stock (do not skim off the fat as you’ll need it later). Keep the chicken submerged in the strained stock until needed.
Thickened chicken and rice soup
- 4 cups (1000 ml) of chicken stock from above
- 1 1/2 cups (270 grams) of leftover white rice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 of a medium onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- BROWNED AND CRISPY CHICKEN BITS:
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) of finely shredded boiled chicken
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat (gathered from the stock)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- TO FINISH:
- 4 soft poached egg, and extra chicken fat and white pepper to top
- TO MAKE THE RICE-THICKENED CHICKEN SOUP: Sweat the onion with 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt and ground black pepper in a stock pot over medium heat, until translucent and soft, but not browned. Add the chicken stock and rice, and simmer for 10 ~ 15 min until the rice is very soft. Transfer to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Return the soup back to the pot and keep warm with the lid on.
- TO MAKE THE BROWNED AND CRISPY CHICKEN BITS: Add the finely shredded chicken, chicken fat, olive oil, salt and ground white pepper in a skillet and cook over medium-high heat. Some moisture mixed inside the chicken fat will be cooked off, and keep stirring occasionally until the chickens are crispy and browned on all edges. Add the grated ginger and cook for a few seconds only, then turn off the heat completely. Set aside until needed.
- TO SERVE: If the soup appears to be too thick to your liking (it may thicken slightly over time), add a little bit more stock to thin it out slightly. Serve the soup with a soft-poached egg, a good dose of browned and crispy chicken bits, plus a drizzle of chicken fat and a dab of ground white pepper.