Author Notes: My family has been making this healthy green recipe for generations. I learned it from my grandmother. It can be both the perfect "meatless" meal or it can also be enjoyed as the perfectly nutritious side dish.
For a totally meatless meal; it it delicious served over whole wheat pasta.
For those who would like meat; this is also delicious served with some sauteed hot italian sausage. —Donna
bunch Escarole (large)
ounces Can of Vegetable broth
ounces Can of Cannellini beans
Onion - medium, chopped fine
tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to medium saucepan and saute onions until soft and slightly browned.
- Add garlic and saute until soft.
- Add Vegetable broth. Let steep for a few minutes to absorb flavor.
- Add escarole (washed) and cannellini beans and cook until escarole is soft and leaves are limp.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Can be served alone or over whole wheat pasta to complete your meal.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens