Author Notes: I travel constantly for my consulting job, and trying to find a healthy, easy-to-pack (and easier to eat) lunch-on-the-go while you're living in a Marriott is no easy feat. This recipe is so simple, it almost doesn't qualify as cooking - I can whip it up in the time it takes my tea to boil in the morning! —Colleen
cups raw kale
dashes white pepper
dashes sea salt
- Wash 3 cups of raw kale in a colander, and allow to dry. Roughly chop into 1/4 inch slices. (You can save yourself a step by buying a pre-chopped kale leaves!) Place into a prep bowl and set aside.
- Wash the tomato, and roll it so the vine is facing to the side. Cut it in half down the center, and use a 1/4 teaspoon to remove the seeds and any white core. Cut each half into quarters, and place in the prep bowl with the chopped kale.
- Wash and dry the avocado, then slice it lengthwise around the core. Twist the halves in opposite directions until they separate, and set aside the half holding the pit. Peel the other half, and cut lengthwise into 6 slices. Add to the prep bowl with the kale and tomato.
- Wash the lemon, and cut it in half and place one half aside. Remove the seeds, then squeeze it over the kale, tomato, and avocado.
- Drizzle EVOO over the kale, tomato, and avocado.
- Toss the mixture, add the white pepper and sea salt, then toss again.
- Store in a simple bamboo bento box to tote along for the day!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens