If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A warming, winter super food salad… —Abby
- 3 handfuls Purple Kale
- 1 Pumpkin
- 200g packets Whole Blanched Almonds
- 2 Wholemeal Pitta Breads
- 2 teaspoons Dukkah
- dashes Olive Oil
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees. When hot, pour a large glug of olive oil into a baking tray and place in the oven for 5 minutes or so to heat up. Using a large, sharp knife peel and de-seed the pumpkin. Slice the orange flesh into rough bite size chunks that are all fairly similar in size. Add the pumpkin to the hot oil, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and shake about being careful of spits and splatters. Roast for 35 minutes checking now and then. Do not shake or turn until the pumpkin has begun to crisp and caramelize against the hot tray.
- While the pumpkin cooks, wash and roughly chop the kale making sure you trim away and discard the tough center stalk. I couldn't resist the beautiful purple kale but green will work in the same way. Heat a dry, heavy based pan on the stove and lightly toast your almonds until light brown. Remove from the pan and add a splash of olive oil. Tear the pitta bread into rough flat croutons and fry in the oil until crisp. Add the dukkah and almonds to the pan, stir and take off the heat.
- When your pumpkin is soft and brown at the edges, boil a pan of salted water. Blanch the kale for up to 2 minutes until slightly wilted. Drain and mix with the pumpkin and spiced nuts and croutons. Enjoy warm with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens