If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Roasting kale is one of my favorite ways to enjoy this hearty winter green. The edges become nice and crispy, which is the perfect contrast to the melt in your mouth sweet potatoes. This dish is a great balance of sweet and spicy and has quickly become one of my favorite meals to serve when I have guests over. If you're not into salmon, try topping the greens with a fried egg! It's simple and delicious and makes for some great leftovers (if there is any)!
This recipe was inspired by Heidi Swanson's Kale Salad from one of my favorite cookbooks: Super Natural Every Day. —Ashley Couse | Bloom & Nourish
Food52 Review: It's easy to fall into the same old routines with kale -- we often find ourselves sautéing it with olive oil and garlic night after night, maybe with a pinch of pepper flakes when we need some excitement. So this coconutty kale -- which uses both oil and flakes -- feels like a relief, and a welcome new alternative. The salmon here was perfectly cooked, and the soft, creamy coconut rice served as the perfect backdrop to bring everything together. —The Editors
- 1 cup jasmine rice, uncooked
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or tamari)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 3 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, ribs removed and sliced into strips
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds salmon, sliced into 4 fillets
- Rinse rice in cold water and drain. Place in a saucepan with coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil and stir. Reduce to the lowest heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, or until ready to serve (it will stay warm for up to an hour).
- While the rice is cooking, heat oven to 400° F. In a lidded jar, combine the melted coconut oil, sesame oil, coconut aminos, and Sriracha. Seal the jar and shake vigorously until emulsified.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a tablespoon of melted coconut oil and sprinkle with paprika. Toss to coat. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Place kale and coconut flakes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with about 2/3 of the dressing. Toss until well coated.
- Drizzle salmon with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the remaining dressing. Bake the salmon and coconut kale mixture during the last 15 minutes of the sweet potato's baking time, or until cooked through, being careful not to let the kale burn.
- Remove sweet potatoes, salmon, and kale from oven. Serve over fluffed rice with an extra drizzle of dressing. Devour!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens